Sunday, March 22, 2009

My house... it smells like beer.

Today marks our first day as, dare I say it, home brewers. DH tried his hand at this once before, probably 4 years ago, with a Mr. Beer kit. It was bad. There's no way to sugar coat that. I took one sniff once the beer was ready and refused to try it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this batch comes out better.
I'm feeling optimistic for a few reasons.
1. We took a class and watched someone with experience. She also gave us a list of her tips and directions that are way more detailed than the ones that come with the kit.
2. We bought a real home brew kit. I'm sure that there are people that have gotten good beer from Mr Beer, but we're not them.
3. DH and I both know a lot more about beer and the process. Last time, we were still pretty green. We were beer likers. Now, we're beer lovers.
So, what kind of beer are we brewing? A Bavarian Hefeweizen. One of my favs. We're using a True Brew kit, purchased at Homebrew Emporium in West Boylston, MA. Great store! I'm already dreaming about ways to use the Grains of Paradise I saw there... but I think that's a long ways off. Into the fermenting bucket it goes, now we just have to wait a week, maybe two, until it's ready to bottle. Then, three more weeks before we can drink it. This better be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment