Monday, March 9, 2009

Brave, Brave Husband

me: hey hun, want to try tempeh?
him: uh sure.
Uh sure? That's good enough for me!
This is a keeper. Of course, I didn't quite get a glaze out of it, and I ran out of soy sauce. Oh, and I didn't have fresh ginger OR ground coriander. Wait, mirin and fresh squeezed orange juice? Nope and nope, didn't have those ingredients either. Wow. Was I unprepared or what?! I decided to give it a try anyway and made do with some substitutes.

Orange Pan-Glazed Tempeh (my subs are in parenthesis) about 4 servings
from http://www.101cookbooks.com 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (1 cup Tropicana)
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger (1 tsp ground ginger)
2 teaspoons tamari (or 2 tsp soy sauce)
1 1/2 tablespoons mirin (1 TBS sake + 1 tsp or so of local honey)
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (1/2 tsp ground cumin)
2 small garlic cloves, crushed
about 10 ounces of tempeh or extra-firm tofu (8 oz tempeh)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 lime (oops didn't have this)
a handful of cilantro leaves (you guessed it. left this out too.)

1. Mix together first 7 ingredients - or substitutions - and set aside.
2. Cut tempeh into bite sized pieces.
3. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat, until hot but not smoking. Add tempeh and cook about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
4. Pour in the OJ mixture and let simmer about 10 minutes, until reduced and glaze-y. Or, at the very least, reduced.

Serve with veggies, rice, quinoa, what have you. We had ours over brown rice and broccoli. I'm already looking forward to taking the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment